Inflammation not only affects our muscles but also our skin, organs and gut. When we train day in and day out, it is important to throw in some foods with dense nutrients, including anti-inflammatory properties. Here is an ideal food pyramid to support your body and reduce inflammation, and give you the recovery you need.
Base: Leafy greens and healthy fats
- Spinach, collard greens, kale, Swiss chard, cabbage, romaine
- Salmon, tuna, cod, walnuts, almonds, grass-fed beef, avocado
- Chia seeds, flaxseed
Level 1: (Certain) Fruits and beets
- Pineapple, blueberries, ginger, papaya, beets, tart cherry
- Strawberries, raspberries, figs
Level 2: Nightshades (LIMIT THESE)
- Tomatoes, eggplant, potatoes, peppers
Peak: Wheat, dairy, and other processed foods (AVOID)
- Refined grains, soy, peanuts, corn, high sugar items
***Spices with anti-inflammatory properties:
- Cayenne pepper
Especially in a hard training cycle, do your body a favor and incorporate these foods and spices in your daily diet. With reduced inflammation you will recover faster, reduce injury, and be able to push harder on your next workout.