5 Ways to Keep Your Pants Fitting Through the Holidays
- Eat Slowly
- Enjoy your food. Savor every single bite. Eating slower is better for your digestive system, and allows your brain to recognize when it is satiated.
- Eat Until You’re 80% Full
- Along with eating slower, be sure you are not OVEReating. Often times, when we are surrounded by an abundance of tasty treats, we cannot help but try every single one. It is important to be mindful of how full you are and to recognize when to put the fork down. Make it a goal to eat until you are 80% full. Then after drinking a glass of water and waiting 20 minutes, if you are still hungry, go for seconds. Your belly will thank you.
- Use a Smaller Plate
- The smaller the plate, the less food on it. Some of us try to pile up plates sky high without the near capacity to eat everything. Ever heard the phrase “My eyes were bigger than my stomach”? Using a small plate for your first serving makes you more aware of your true portion sizes. It also will require more effort to get seconds, which may, in turn, lead us to stick to one plate.
- Drink 8oz of Water With Each Meal
- Sometimes our bodies do not recognize when we are hungry or thirsty. Before each meal, try drinking a glass of water. Water also aids in digestion so it will help ensure your foods move through smoothly. Remember to keep water at your side and make sure your sips of eggnog do not outweigh the H2O!
- Incorporate Exercise
- Try starting your holiday morning with a sweat. Elevating your heart rate will spark your metabolism and get things moving efficiently. Your body will crave movement and activity after days of eating and relaxation. Challenge yourself to get moving and keep exercise present in holiday activities.
Happy Holidays and Keep BOOSTing Yourself!